Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Make New Friends, but Keep the Old

I was a Girl Scout. Yes, it's very hard to believe that I was once one of those adorable little girls you want to either strangle or spoil when you see them selling cookies at the entrance of your local Wal-Mart. Anyways, this fact really has nothing to do with what I am writing about today, the only reason I mention it is so that I can tell you about a song that I learned while I was a girl scout. I'm not sure if it's called the Friendship song, or the Make New Friends song, or whatever the hell they called it, but it has stuck with me since I was a wee lass.  (At bottom of page is the lyrics to the song in case you don't them.)

 
These 2 girls with me in the picture above are my longest friends I've had. I feel the need to talk about them because they both live so far away and I never get to tell them how much they really mean to me. I'm pretty sure I met Kayla first in Mr. Chennault's Driver's Ed class. We started talking because of my big brother's best friend Josh, whom Kayla happened to be crushing on very hard back in those days lol. I remember having a huge crush on her brother James, and since Josh was pretty much like a brother to us, we came out pretty even. It was early on in my Junior year at West Valley, I had just transferred in from Texas, so I was super nervous and glad this girl talked to me! I don't remember the exact moment I met Crystal, all I do remember really is that she was a freshman and I was a junior, Kayla was a sophomore. All 3 of us pretty much feel into step with each other. Kayla once forced me try out for cheerleading with her... that was a major fail on my part. There's no way I should have ever been in that try out lmao. I still have the letters we would right back and forth to each other, and trust me there are hundreds. We once had a notebook that we would just pass back and forth but I do not know what became of said notebook. We have millions of pictures and memories. Crystal and I once hated each other in high school. I made a huge mistake and decided I didn't want her as my friend... but to my surprise, she became the best friend I've ever had, even when I started all kinds of mean rumors about her. She somehow and for some reason forgave me for it. I really cant say that I was the nicest teenager, and she can definitely attest to the fact that I was not. After I graduated and went of to college, of course we grew apart. We still saw each other, but eventually I moved farther away while they stayed in Hemet. All 3 of us have been through so much and all of it pretty much away from each other, yet whenever we talk or text, it's like we never stopped talking ever. I sometimes thank God for Facebook because if it weren't for that awesome website, I wouldn't be able to keep up with them as much as I do.

I've had a lot of really good friends over the years. Moving around as much as we did, I didn't stay in one place longer than a year normally, so I really got a new best friend at every school I went to. Chelsea was my Beaches bestie lol. I met her in my senior year at West Valley, and I don't know how but we became like sisters very quickly. We pretty much did everything together. I had never seen the movie "Beaches" until I met her. You know the Bette Midler-Barbara Hershey chick flick that you cant get through watching it without a-crying your eyes out, b-singing along when Bette Midler sings Wind Beneath my Wings, and c-calling your best friend as soon as its over to tell them how much they mean to you. After I went to college, Chels and I would write letters back and forth but it didn't really last that long. I had some really awesome memories with her. I moved into the dorms when I went to college where I met a few pretty amazing women. My hall-mates were all great, and each taught me something different and new. After college, I moved into a no bedroom studio apartment with an awesome chick I met a week after I started working at Dominos. Liz and I became friends so fast that within a week, people were asking us if we were related. She helped me out in so many ways. She introduced me to an amazing church in Colton where I helped lead my Mom and brother to Christ and watch both of them baptized. She introduced me to my first real love even though it didn't last, I'll always be grateful to her for that. I moved away again which ended the geographical convience of a friendship. She has done absolutely great, and because of Facebook again, I was able to meet her beautiful daughter through the pictures she posts.


I know that I have talked a little about these two before but I feel the need to elaborate about my "new friends" in this blog about old friends and new. So then it comes to Jesse and Alicia. I've known Jesse since 2009 I guess, and at first I wasn't sure what to think about her. The whole situation caught me of guard, but once I became accustomed to it, I realized that this girl is the bees knees!! We have a gazillion things in common and think completely on the same wave length. I learn new things from and about this chick every time we hang out. I call her almost on a daily basis and if I don't then I Facebook her. (Yes, I Facebook a lot!) She knows everything in my life everyday and even sometimes probably too much lol. She's the kind of friend that you can NEVER unfriend even if you wanted to because they know just wayyy to much about you. She is the kind of friend that truly means it when she says she will be there, regardless of the situation, to the best of her ability. She's a pretty darn awesome best friend if I do say so myself. Alicia is the new girl lol. I met her in October but it turns out that I actually went to Caney Creek with her in the 10th grade while she was a junior but we did not know each other. I did know her brother though, he was in a couple of my classes and I'm pretty sure he liked me, but I was quite delirious when it came to boys back then, always thinking they liked me when they didn't, you know typical teenage girl stuff. But anyways, back to Alicia, turns out that I make friends fast in any situation because after 4 months of knowing this girl, she has already been granted best friend status and normally that takes much longer lol. I am picky about friends and who I let close to me because of many "friends" that I've had in the past. So the term best friend is not used loosely in Fefe Land. She is helping me out so much and has given me a wonderful opportunity. I must say that as far as bosses and friends go, she is totes amazeballs!!!

All of the girls I have talked about are all one of a kind friends and each have proven to be my best friends over and over. I cant imagine what my life would've been without them in it. I hope yall read this so that you know how much you mean to me since I know that I do not tell you enough. Thanks girls!!!

Song Lyrics to "Make New Friends" or the "Friendship Song" whatever it is called!


Make new friends,
but keep the old.
One is silver,
the other is gold.
 
A circle is round,
it has no end.
That's how long,
I will be your friend.

A fire burns bright,
it warms the heart.
We've been friends,
from the very start.

You have one hand,
I have the other.
Put them together,
We have each other.

Silver is precious,
Gold is too.
I am precious,
and so are you.

You help me,
and I'll help you
and together
we will see it through.

The sky is blue
The Earth is green
I can help
to keep it clean

Across the land
Across the sea
Friends forever
We will always be




1 comment:

  1. Heeelllllooooo!
    I so love this blog and not just because I have a mention :-P you mean the whole world to me which means alot coming from a tree hugger. I love you fe fe xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete