Saturday, February 9, 2013

My Obession

"I leave that radio playing the same old country station where ya left it, ya man I crank it up,
and you'd probably punch my arm right now, if you saw this tear rolling down my face, hey man I'm trying to be tough. And Momma asked me this morning if I'd been by your grave, but that flag and stone aint where I feel you anyway... I drive your truck, yeah I roll every window down, and I burn up every back road in this town, I find a field, I tear it up, till all this pain is a cloud of dust, yeah sometimes, brother sometimes, I drive your truck..."

*wiping tears...*

Phew, those are some powerful song lyrics, right? Hell yeah right!!

I have mentioned previously how music affects me a little differently than normal. I have an obsession with it really. I am not musically gifted in any way, although I can rock the karaoke mic at the local honky tonks. I used to play the flute, yes the flute, when I was in the 4th grade, but it never really stuck with me. I was in choir in middle school, then again in college, but I couldn't connect with the songs we were singing and in a group you cant even hear me so it wasn't important to me lol. The reason I didn't connect with the songs is because in middle school all we sang about was kid crap, and in college we sang a praise be to Jesus songs because I attended a Southern Baptist University. Don't get me wrong though, I LOVE a good worship song, just not so crazy about old timey hymns. I wanna be pumped when I'm praising God, not falling asleep standing. Anyways back to the topic at hand.... I love a good harmony but my favorite part about music are the lyrics. This is probably the reason I don't listen to much Rap (or CRap as I call it). You cant understand the lyrics and if you can, its not like you can relate to it. When in my life have I ever been in a stretch limo with the fellas on my left and the honeys on the right passin around Cristal and getting crunk??? Yeah, NEVER would be the correct answer! There is some CRap that I will listen to but only because it was made before the Drakes (yall remember that kid from Degrassi... what a dousche) and Nicki Minajs ruined the genre forever. Mainly however I listen to Country, Hard Rock, some Metal (very minimal), and whatever genre Mumford and Sons belongs in.



When it comes to country music, it doesn't matter what time frame it came from. My family is from Texas and we are very country. Some may even call us rednecks, but its whatevs, I'm damn proud of it! So I've listened to country my entire life. I went through the rebellious phase in high school where I blared rock and even rap through my bedroom as loud as it would go, but I eventually returned to my roots and discovered, I love country music too much to ever ban my ears from hearing it! If you are not a fan, I dare you to just turn on any country music radio station and find a single song that you cannot relate to in any way at all and please let me know, because I don't think it's possible. The song I quoted at the top up there is from a song called "I Drive Your Truck" by Lee Brice. This is the song I heard for the first time while driving and I balled my eyes out! It just adds to your notion that all country music is sad... but it's not. Go listen to "She Cranks my Tractor" by Dustin Lynch... or "My Kinda Party" by Jason Aldean... oh oh or "(Country Girl) Shake it For Me" by Luke Bryan... that is country's version of booty-shakin music. And it works!!! Not to mention the lyrics make you laugh and think to yourself "I want to have a 'my kinda party' kinda party"!!! In fact, I just had that thought the other day lol! Also, you cannot confuse me with the Taylor Swift fans... writing songs about your exs is soooo 2010! I was loved her, back when she was like 16 and still all cute and girly... then she grew up to be as tall as Michael Jordan... that's just unnatural lmao.

Rock and Metal are what I listen to when I'm pissed off. Or when I just feel like rocking the fuzz out! There's nothing better to me then rolling down the windows and blaring Breaking(Broken) Benjamin and 30 Seconds to Mars, Staind, or Shinedown. I love me some Metallica and As I Lay Dying, Bullet for my Valentine... there are really just too many to list off, we'd be here all day and I'm sure you have shit to do. I understand that you can easily argue that you cant understand the lyrics in metal either, but on the contrary my dear friends, you can, well sometimes anyway. I'm not sure if Mumford and Sons qualifies in the rock genre, country genre, or folk genre... but I have just made them their own genre, it's call ABSOLUTE AMAZINGNESS! I would both my arms to go to a Mumford show and not have to travel to the UK to do it. MUMFORD AND SONS PLEASE DO A US TOUR!!!!! Anyways, I absolutely love their stuff. The lyrics are just amazing and the way they sing and harmonize just makes me... mmmmhhhmmm!! I could listen to them for hours. I thank my Jesse for introducing me to that awesomeness. Now I cant get enough of them :)

I've talked a lot about modern music, but I cannot count out my secret passion for Classic rock and 80s hairbands. Oh yeah, Journey, Poison, White Snake, Queen, Bon Jovi, Joan Jett, Heart, Foreigner, Survivor, Guns N Roses, Def Leppard, Lynard Skynard... the list can go on and on. My mother is the culprit of introducing me to this. And she is great for doing it. My mom and dad always had radio wars, if we were in the car with Dad it was either Country or ESPN radio... if we were riding with Mom, it was classic rock! Journey is my favorite band to listen to when working out. You cant hear "Don't Stop Believing" without getting super pumped and motivated.

No comments:

Post a Comment