Wednesday, February 20, 2013

90's kid... and Proud :)


My birth year is 1986. This means that in 1991, I turned 5 years old, therefore am a 90's kid. As far as decades in my life go, I must say that the 90's were my favorite. The cartoons were better, the TV shows were better, and Disney movies still taught an important lesson. Yes, we had it good pre-Jersey Shore. Back when it was still considered a bad thing for a 13 year old to get pregnant. Now we just make a TV show about it. Family secrets stayed secrets. I cant say much for the music of the decade though. I mean, do we really want to be the ones responsible for the careers of Britney Spears, 98 Degrees, and Backstreet Boys? I know I don't want to claim it, but I'll admit that I did listen and enjoy all three of those performers. Including NSync (pre-Justin split) and Cristina Aguilara (pre-voicebox split). I was a gamer of Mario Brothers and Donkey Kong. I cant even play video games now because there are too many buttons, which is the same reason I don't fly planes. I figure neither situation would end well. I get dead... as I say. Props to the people that can play video games these days. We had TV shows like Blossom and Full House. The Olsen twins didn't have a gazillion dollars and eating disorders. They were still cute as a button and every little girl, including myself, wished we had a family like the Tanners. We had the inspirational cleanliness of 7th Heaven. I guarantee if they tried to come out with a 7th Heaven-esque type show, they be shot down before they could even pitch the concept. However, if they tried to make Jersey Shore in the 90s they would have gotten the Real World. Except the Real World wasn't even that bad compared to Jersey Shore. I remember when MTV still played music videos instead of Teen Mom and Catfish, a show about getting screwed on the internet. Honey Boo Boo wasn't even a glimpse in the ugly eye of her horse mother. Exploiting children was still done behind doors instead of on mainstream television. Songs made sense. I remember sitting by my stereo for hours hitting record and stop while recording songs from the radio onto a cassette tape. I remember begging my parents to buy me a new CD. Now I can go to Pandora and listen to all the songs I want for free. Everybody wants to be famous but nobody wants to work for it. Half the people that were famous in 90s would probably drown in today's scene. The only person in the 90s who is equally famous if not more famous now is Doogie Houser, or Neil Patrick Harris for all you youngins. Yep, he stole hearts as the youngest doctor on TV and made way for the talking journals on most TV shows you see today. Yes, if you ask me, the 90s were tops as far as entertainment goes. Obviously as a child, I wouldn't care about politics or religion or anything of real substance concerning the decade. I'm sure some important shit happened that decade that I'm leaving out because I didn't know about it. You know what I miss?? Saturday Morning cartoons. Man they were awesome. I remember actually waking up earlier on Saturday mornings just so I could get to the TV before anyone else so I could watch cartoons. I remember going in the bathroom to play Bloody Mary or Candyman. Never heard of it??? Go in the bathroom, turn off the light, say Bloody Mary or Candyman 5 times and I swear they'll show up in the mirror! My favorite memory concerning these games was my friend Meagan's birthday party. There were like 4 or 5 of us and we all squeezed into the bathroom at Meagan's house and switched off the light. We started saying the name and then we FREAKED the EFF out!! Meagan's mom Katrina comes running and slams the door open with a look of sheer terror on her face. The 4 or 5 of us scramble out half screaming and half laughing as Katrina's blood pressure returned to normal. Man, that was great. I don't know who came up with those dumb games, but they sure entertained at every slumber party! I realize this blog has kind of just rambled on and skipped all over the place and if you've made it this far I applaud you lol. Not many people can keep up with my sporadic thoughts. There are so many more things I could say about the 90's and how I love them and why the 2000s and 20teens suck balls, but I'm running on empty and need to hit the hay! Thanks for reading friends!!! Now, go watch some Boy Meets World, drink some Surge, play some old school Nintendo, and look over your POG collection for the gazillionth time! Hope your dreams are the bomb!!! 

3 comments:

  1. I laughed out loud but not in a lol way I really laughed.out.loud. 90s kids ftw!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey girl! Thanks for stopping by the hop! How do I follow you???-Ginger from Gingerssnaps

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I've added the follow me link... it's up there under FOLLOW MY SHENANIGANS, thank you for reading :) and thank you for the opportunity to share my blog with your readers. How do I do a blog hop thingy?

      Delete